There are two ways to Installing a plugin – manually with an FTP client, or automatically through the upload feature in the WordPress dashboard. Below you will see both options.
Install Through the WordPress Dashboard
- Log in to your WordPress dashboard and go to the plugins page. Click the “Add New” button at the top of the page.
- Click the “Upload Plugin” button that is now at the top of the “Add Plugins” page.
- Click “Choose File” and using the Windows navigation pop-up window locate the plugin zip file you downloaded from WPforChurch.com.
- Once the plugin file is located using the pop-up window, the plugin file name will appear next to the “Choose File” button on the “Add Plugins” page. Scroll to the bottom of this page and click “Install Now.”
- When WordPress is finished installing click “Activate.”
- Once activated you may begin using the plugin right away or follow the setup process suggested for your specific plugin. Reference the published “Getting Started” guide relevant to your plugin for further instructions.
Install With an FTP Client
- Download the plugin zip file to your local machine and unzip it. You will find a sub-folder labeled the same as the zip folder. This sub-folder is the folder you want to transfer to your website.
- Log onto your website server using an FTP client (FileZilla is a free and dependable option), and locate your site’s wp-content/plugins directory.
- Transfer the plugin sub-folder (step 1) into the plugins directory.
- Log into your WordPress dashboard, and go to your plugins page. From the plugins listed locate the plugin you just installed manually and click “Activate.”